Thursday, January 09, 2014

2013 A Year In Games

2013 was a turning point for me. My interest in MMORPG's dwindled. I have not returned to Guild Wars 2 in any meaningful way. I dabbled in ninja panda land in WoW and lost interest after one week. I even installed the clinically sterile FFXIV which left me even more jaded towards the MMORPG treadmill genre.

I stopped playing World Of Tanks. The changes to that game during 2013 left me in no doubt the developers are more interested in money than developing an interesting clan-based tank game.

Some games I enjoyed and played the most during 2013:

  • War Thunder - great action based WWII fighter simulator without an obnoxious cash shop.
  • Kerbal Space Program - still the best Minecraft in space.
  • Minecraft - I still frequently play this game since the early 2009 alpha.
  • Tomb Raider - magnificent reboot of a very old game series.
  • EVE Online - joined a pirate corporation this year. The game is so much more user friendly than when I first started playing it back in 2006 when it was a confusing mess.
  • Assassin's Creed IV - best pirate simulator I have played since Sid Meiers Pirates. I've also started enjoying ACIII which uses the same graphics engine as IV. Hoping Ubisoft will release a full blown open world pirate simulator and remove all the Assassin's Creed nonsense.
  • Planetside 2 - the best squad based action online game.

I am closely following the Star Citizen project which I firmly believe will inject some excitement into the space game genre.

No comments: